Butter Beans Curry
Deep down, I really enjoy eating simple food. People often ask me what’s my favourite food to eat because of my job, and while I do love trying new places to eat, food that I grew up eating is my favourite. This butter beans curry is one of those dishes. It can be enjoyed with rice or roti. Eat it with a fresh salad and top with a little bit of double cream yoghurt if you want to make it extra special. I love eating food like this with atchaar but my go-to lately has been Tamarind Sauce from Quality Pickles. Theres just something about the tartness of the tamarind that goes with any type of bean curry cooked in a tomato sauce making it next level tasty. Enjoy!
- 1 tin Butter Beans in tomato sauce
- 2 Tb oil
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1 tsp red masala (red chilli, ginger and garlic paste) or 1 tsp of each
- 2x chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tomato chopped optional
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt to taste
- extra chilli powder optional
- water for cooking
- coriander for garnish
- Fry onion in oil until light brown. Add red masala, spices and chicken cubes, cook until chicken is lightly browned.
- Add the tomato, if you wish then the tin of butter beans. Add a little bit of water to allow the curry to simmer.
- Stir in freshly chopped coriander before eating.
Omit chicken for a veg friendly option. The addition of fresh chopped tomato adds to the tomato sauce and makes it thicker. Since tinned food has added salt, always wait till the end to add your salt so you don’t end up adding more than you need to.