Carrot Cake Loaf with Yoghurt Cardamom Icing
If you are reading this post for the first time, you have no idea what lengths I had to go to to get this post back up! Long story short there were technical difficulties, 1 hour phone calls to my domain host, logins to my FTP, a loss of hair due to excessive hair pulling, lots of refreshing and just general angst and frustration. Thank goodness I wrote the recipe down with a good ‘ol pen and paper! So without further ado here it is.
- 1.5 cups self-raising bran enriched flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/3 cup vegetable/sunflower/canola oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 carrots, grated
- chopped dates, handful
- chopped pecan nuts, handful
For the cardamom & yoghurt icing
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 Tb greek or double cream yoghurt
- pinch of ground cardamom or more
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients together.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Fold carrots, dates and nuts into mixture.
- Empty contents into a greased loaf pan and bake at 180ºC for 40 – 45 minutes until the top is brown and a knife comes out clean.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar and yoghurt together with the cardamom. If you would like a thicker icing add more icing sugar. Glaze when completely cool.