Chicken, Corn & Cheese Springrolls
Disclaimer: I have never prepared savouries for Ramadan before, because I prefer to eat actual food and not savouries. I don’t mind having one or two, but let’s be honest…after the first week we are pretty much over them right? Hence I made a small batch of spring rolls, just enough to get me through the first week. The same can be said for my second batch of chicken & peanut potsticker dumplings. If you haven’t seen those yet, the recipe can be found over here. I portioned them into 12 in each packet and kept them in the freezer. They are quite small but filling, so you don’t need to eat a lot!
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh green chilli
- 2 mielies or corn on the cob, corn cut off
- a generous bunch of coriander
- spring roll pastry sheets
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 2 tsp cornflour
- water & flour for paste (glue)
- Cook the chicken and onion in a little bit of ghee or oil with the garlic, white pepper and green chilli. Add salt to taste.
- When the chicken is cooked, turn the stove off but keep the pan on the heat. Add the corn and mix, allowing the corn to just cook and change colour. (We don’t want to overcook the corn, and the residual heat in the pan is enough).
- Add the coriander and take the pan off the heat, allow to cool in the pan or empty into another container to cool quicker.
- When the chicken mixture has cooled completely, add the cheese and cornflour. When cheese is added to savouries it can split and become oily – I hate that, the cornflour just binds the mixture and prevents this from happening.
- To make the spring rolls, separate your sheets from one another. Keep them wrapped in a damp cloth to prevent drying out.
- Place a little mixture at the top (closest to you) in the middle. Fold the top over, then each of the sides (to the middle) and secure in place with flour and water paste.
- Roll the spring roll to the end of the pastry and seal well.
- Let the paste dry, and store in an airtight Tupperware container.
- Fry until golden to serve and enjoy!