Chocolate Date Syrup Granola
This recipe for a refined sugar free granola was inspired by Emilie Eats. I wanted something chocolatey for breakfast but not too sweet or unhealthy and was on the hunt for an easy granola recipe. I really liked the combination of dates and water to make everything stick together. Normally, most recipes use honey, maple syrup or coconut oil as the wet mixture to sweeten and for the crunch. You can use whatever you have in your cupboard to make this, so any combination of seeds or nuts will do. I hope you enjoy it!
- 1.5 cups oats
- 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 sunflower seeds
- 2 Tb cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- Optional extras: chopped Turkish apricots, chopped cranberries, toasted coconut flakes, choc chips, glace ginger pieces.
- In a large mixed bowl, combine everything except the dates and water.
- Soak the dates in boiling water until soft, then blend into a syrup.
- Pour the syrup over the dry ingredients and mix until everything is coated in date syrup.
- Spread evenly onto a non stick mat and toast in the oven at 180°C for 20 minutes. If you want clumps of granola do not mix or move for 20 minutes. If you want smaller pieces of granola, break it up after 20 minutes and toast for a further 10 minutes. If you want it really crunchy bake for another 10 minutes (40 minutes in total).
- Eat as a snack or serve with milk/yoghurt or fruit for breakfast.