Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Arrabbiata
This tomato sauce is a dream to make and tastes even better. The addition of sun-dried tomatoes adds warmth and earthiness to this sauce. “Arrabbiata” means angry in Italian according to Wikipedia and refers to the chili in this recipe. Add any pasta you like and enjoy!
Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Arrabbiata Sauce
- 2 x chicken breasts (see tips below for variations)
- 50g sun-dried tomato
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tinned chopped tomato (I used the Woolies Italian Tomato with Basil and Oregano)
- 1/2 tub cream
- 2 Tb tomato paste
- Cooked Penne pasta
- Fresh flat leaf Italian parsley for serving
- Add a little bit of oil to a pan, add chopped garlic cloves. Allow to fry without browning.
- Cut chicken breasts into thin pieces and to garlic. Add chili flakes. Mix until everything is combined.
- Add chopped tomato and cream (125ml) and 2 TB tomato paste.
- Simmer until reduced, it should become slightly thick.
- Add cooked pasta and finely chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
1/2 tub of cream and tomatoes makes enough for two people. You can make enough for 4 by using the whole tin or tub. If you want leftovers use the whole tin and all the cream, I doubt there will be leftovers (unless you have a small appetite). If you are vegetarian just leave the chicken out. If you are vegan, leave the cream out and you still have an authentic arrabbiata. You can add any protein to this dish but prawns would work well. Going low carb or Banting? Mix in zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.