Homemade Tropical Granola
I’ve been wanting to make a granola recipe for ages, ever since I bought these coconut flakes from Bakeware Boutique in Claremont. It has toasted coconut and banana chips which are so delicious to snack on. Figs are in season which is perfect as I plan on eating this with figs, fresh banana or even on top of some overnight oats for an added crunch. These make great gifts too, just put some in a pretty glass jar!
- 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- 1 cup banana chips
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4cup sesame seeds
- 30ml olive oil
- 50ml honey
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C.
- Toast coconut flakes separately on a baking tray until it starts to colour lightly. You need to watch it!
- Toast the seeds next on a baking tray (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame) for about 20 mins until lightly toasted.
- Mix oats, seeds, olive oil, honey, cinnamon and vanilla essence together.
- Spread mixture in an even layer onto greaseproof paper or a non stick mat on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Take out and give it a stir, if you would like it more crispy you can leave it in for longer but be careful not to burn.
- Cool completely on the tray and store in an airtight container.
You can use whatever seeds you like, for example almonds would work really well in this or cashews. If you want to add an even more tropical vibe add some dried pineapple pieces to the mixture once cool.