Cauli pizza has been around for ages but I’ve never bothered to try it because it seemed like a lot of work (lol). If you read my grocery haul over here, you would remember I bought a cauli-broc pack in my hasty fruit & veg shopping experience. I didn’t want to cheese sauce it and thought it would be a good opportunity to try a cauli-pizza. While it was a successful first attempt, I think I will make this for myself only as hubby just picked the cheese off of his!
Margherita Cauli Pizza
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- tomato sauce
- more mozzarella
- basil pesto (optional)
- olive oil
- Wash and roughly chop the cauliflower. In a food processor, blitz it up and then put in a kitchen towel. Squeeze the excess water out and try to get it as dry as possible.
- Return the cauliflower rice back to the food processor, add 1 egg and grated mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle some salt in there too.
- Blend everything until it starts to come together.
- Grease an oven proof dish or baking tray. Spread the mixture out evenly in any shape you like. I did mine in a square 23cm dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius until crisp.
- Spread tomato sauce or passata over, some more cheese, origanum, chili flakes or any other toppings that you wish to add.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese has melted and the base is crisp.
- Top with basil pesto and a drizzle of olive oil before serving.
Squeeze out as much water as you can so your base will end up crispy. Don’t forget to grease your vessel well. Don’t be like me and forget – I had to drizzle olive oil down the sides in the hopes it wouldn’t stick and it worked in the end but there was definitely some stress involved!