As promised but a little bit later than expected – the recipe for the prawn curry I made last week. I added coconut milk to this, but if you prefer a tomato-y curry then leave it out.
- 350g butterflied prawns, cleaned and de-veined
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp black mustard seeds
- 6 – 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1tsp garlic paste
- 1tsp ginger paste
- 1tsp crushed red chillies
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 tin chopped tomato, blended (or 2 fresh tomatoes)
- 1/2 tin coconut milk
- Coriander for garnish
- peas, optional
- In a wide bottomed pot, heat 15ml of oil and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds start popping add the following: onion, garlic, ginger, chillies, turmeric, ground coriander, salt.
- Braise for a minute or two then add the tomato and reduce until thick and all the water has evaporated.
- One you can only see oil in the pot, and the tomato is thick, add the prawns, coconut milk and peas (if adding).
- Simmer for 6 minutes until the prawns are cooked.
- Take off the heat and add chopped coriander.
- Serve with steamed basmati rice and enjoy!