Savoury Cheese & Spring Onion Scones
I whipped these up on the morning of Eid for breakfast! These are such a nice change from sweet scones, serve them with caramelised onion or tomato jam and a variety of cheeses.
- 225g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp mustard sauce
- 3/4 cup finely grated cheese (gouda, mature cheddar)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped.
- 1 egg
- 100ml buttermilk/ amasi
- Heat oven to 220ºC. Rub butter into flour (or all dry ingredients) until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add grated cheese and spring onion.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and mustard together.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add all egg mixture except 1 Tb. Mix until the dough forms a ball shape.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface and knead briefly until smooth.
- Flatten into a 2cm thick circle/square, cut into quarters then half each quarter diagonally so you are left with 8 pieces/triangles.
- Brush with 1Tb of remaining egg mixture. Optional to top with extra grated cheese.
- Bake for 12 – 14 minutes until well risen, golden and sound hollow when tapped. They should be dark golden brown on the bottom.
- Eat while warm and enjoy!