“The Great Depression Cake”
This cake is also known as crazy cake, but I prefer the name “the Great Depression cake”, because it has no milk, butter or eggs and these ingredients were really scarce and expensive at the time. Its a quick and easy recipe, very straightforward. Everything gets mixed in the pan that it bakes in and you literally need to equipment. A fork or whisk will do. Saying that, it really does need some sort of icing or topping. I made a simple chocolate ganache and added some unicorn sprinkles for a touch of whimsy. Enjoy and don’t forget to tag me in your creations. FYI I used this recipe from: Coffeewithus3.com which I found on Pinterest.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1.5 cups flour
- 3Tbs cocoa
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp vinegar
- 1tsp vanilla
- 5Tb vegetable oil
- 1 cup room temperature coffee
- Chocolate icing of choice*
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease a 20x20cm pan.
- Measure the dry ingredients into the pan and stir together.
- Make one large depression and 2 smaller ones into the dry ingredients.
- In the large one, add the oil. Add the vinegar and vanilla into the 2 smaller ones.
- Pour your coffee over everything and mix/whisk until no lumps remain. ***When I made this my coffee was still hot, which caused a few doughy bits in my cake, so I advise to wait for it to cool down***.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes. (Mine took 20 mins).
- Allow to cool and spread icing on top. Ganache: 80g chocolate & 80g cream, in the micro on low for 1 minute. Mixed together.